Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Bits and Bobs


I must apologize for the lack of writing as of late, I've seen to have hit a few speed bumps and have reverse jet lag. I'm now back on North American time again. Go figure. I didn't get jet lag when I got here but in needing to deal with a few things back in Calgary I've had to stay up till the wee hours of the night in order to catch everyone during the day there. As things come to a wrap hopefully I can get back to enjoying my trip and experiences again soon.

Things that make you smile: a bald man standing in a doorway of a hair salon

I've noticed that as long as you wear tights it doesn't matter how short your skirt/dress is. Seems to be the fashion here. Tights, boots and a sweater dress or short skirt. It's alluring to want to fit in but after trying on some tights and having thoughts and feelings of when I was a child and had to wear those thick tights where the crotch hung to your knees left me feeling a bit awkward. Besides, who wants to be a 'honger' I'm proud to be Canadian! I went into THE store today. Manolo Blahnik. I've been searching for the perfect pair of of mary jane stilletos for a long time now, and suddenly right there, gleaming under the bright spot light as if from a shining beacon of light perched the shoes I've been searching for. Kid in a candy store is all I can say. ~sigh~ does life get any better!? The strap is in the perfect place, the classic black patent leather pump with the perfect length of heel that I could walk a marathon in. My epitome of cute, playful, stylish and classic shoe. How could any man resist, I was drooling myself. The man is a sheer genius and architect of shoes. His creativity astounds me. I apologize to the men who are reading this, but I do know some of you can appreciate this and fashion as well. I see all of you metrosexual men grinning already..you KNOW who you are!!!

Ok, ok, onto other things!

Ngong Ping 360 is located on Lantau Island and is also home to the Tian Tan Buddha Statue the world's largest seated outdoor bronze Buddha and the Po Lin Monastery. I have always wanted to go see this, but never had the opportunity until now. Unfortunately the day we chose to go was quite foggy and misty so the view of the statue and on the Gondola ride up was not as spectacular as I was hoping for. I get vertigo so needless to say I was quite content with it being a bit foggy due to the fact we decided to take the crystal cabin up which meant the floor of the gondola was clear and you could see all the way down to the ocean and then some. You hike through Ngong Ping village to go to the path of the Po lin Monastery when you can delight in a meal of what the monks eat. All vegetarian, and deliciously delightful. You'd never realize you're missing meat at all. Plates of fragrant Taro root mash with a delicate crispy coating of tempura batter surrounding it to add texture, delectable, crunchy lotus root cooked to perfection along side oyster sauced Chinese mushrooms atop Choy Sum (Chinese Cabbage), coupled with root vegetable stir fry paired with cashews. YUM. Those monks sure know how to eat! Further past the Po Lin Monastery you can also go up to the wisdom path and see the arrangement of 38 giant wood columns complete with Calligraphy. They stand approximately 26-32' tall and are amazing to see.

Onto climb the stairs to see the giant statue of the buddha. We had started our day out late being that organizing an infant and a toddler is quite some work and we are Chinese after all. I was the only one out of our group that hadn't been to the top to see the statue, and since we started late and we still wanted to go to Tai O I ended up practically running up the several flights of stairs to the top. The fog provided just enough ominous mist to surround the statue. When I arrived at the top several visitors had incense and were kneeling in front of the statue praying for a good life, to heal whomever is sick, and to pray for what is needed at the time. It's amazingly spiritual, even if you're not Buddhist, just to be in the presence of the statue.

From there I met up with my family at the square and finished our late lunch with some Tong Sui (Sugar water - direct translation; Chinese dessert). Freshly made Dow Foo Fah (Tofu Dessert) topped with ginger simple syrup or orange sugar, a traditional Chinese dessert and the perfect compliment to any meal. The best Dow Foo Fah's are the ones that are the smoothest in texture rivaling the creamiest of yogurts. I've never tried making it, however in remembering my grandfather and whence I was a young un, it was quite the arduous, time consuming task. Steaming bowls of freshly scooped tofu with just a hint of sweetness melts in your mouth.

We then alighted (they love that word here, such proper English) our bus onto Tai O, which is a fishing village where my cousin's wife grew up and her family still has a little place there. It's the oldest fishing village in Hong Kong where all the houses are on stilts and it's famous for it's shrimp paste and dried seafood. Interesting to see and I'm sure I'll be seeing more stilt houses on my tour yet!

It's just past new year's here and it's freeezing. I think some northerly wind blew in and it's about 9 degrees. Now all you Canadians think it's not cold, and it's not if you're wearing a jacket etc, but it's about the same inside as out with no central heating...So needless to say I'm hoping to go somewhere warm soon.

New Years was a great celebration. Fireworks, red envelopes and many traditional Chinese dishes. The Chinese are a very superstitious bunch. There are many traditions that you have to follow in order for your year to be prosperous, lucky, healthy and happy. You can't wash your hair on New Year's day, you're not supposed to wear new shoes, you're not supposed to sweep your floor..all beliefs of sweeping money away or suffering for a hard year. First time in my life receiving Red envelopes from so many family members. Rule is, if you are married you have to give everyone younger than you are two red envelopes. One from you and the other from your significant other. In return you wish them a prosperous, wealthy, healthy and youth and in return they say a few things to you. GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!! Happy New Years...

I'm setting up to leave to Vietnam next! Warmth, so hopefully in a few days I'll be on my train into Nam! Stay tuned, and again I apologize for the lack in writing...

3 comments:

  1. You were so lucky to spend Chinese New Year in China. It must have been quite the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sheila! Thanks so much for the compliment, totally made my day. Shoot Kev and me an email [nohurrycurry[at]gmail[dot]com) if you have any questions about Vietnam, etc or anywhere else we've been. Maybe we'll see you around!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Nick, Yup it sure was..first time ever and it was great!

    Zhou, I laughed the whole read. Amazing and awesome pictures too! Thanks I will do that, I'm sure I have plenty and it would be too funny to 'bump' into you both! Safe travels to you and Kevin!

    ReplyDelete